HISTORICAL SITE DETAILS

Crown Point Road

Rutland, Vermont

In 1759 British General Amherst ordered the construction of Vermont's first road. It was intended to connect Fort No. 4 on the Connecticut River with Fort Crown Point on Lake Champlain. During the French and Indian War, it was used to supply British forces with arms, men and provisions and was later used by American forces during the Revolution. After the war, the road played an integral role in the settlement of Vermont. Today, the road's progress across Vermont is charted by approximately 70 stone markers. The remains of original bridges, stone abutments, grave sites, camp sites and abandoned cellar holes may still be seen adjacent to the old military road.

220 Adams Street
Rutland, Vermont 05701
(802) 773-6819

Hours of Operation

Crown Point Road
Accomodations
Visitor Experiences

Open Year Round