Fortress of Louisbourg

Louisbourg, Nova Scotia

The Fortress of Louisbourg was one of the busiest harbors in North America. The fortress was one of France’s key centers of trade and military strength in the New World. Construction began on the fortress in 1719 and completed in 1745. In 1745 a group of New Englanders attacked Louisbourg and captured it in 46 days. In 1757 the French gained control of the town. In 1758 the British attacked the fortress for a second time capturing it in 7 weeks. The British were so determined not to allow the French to ever get control of the fortress again, they had the fortress destroyed

259 Park Service Road
Louisbourg, Nova Scotia B1C 2L2
(902) 733-2280
(902) 733-2362

Hours of Operation

Visitor Center Hours: May 1 through June 30, 9:30a.m. to 5:00p.m.; July 1 through August 31, 9:00a.m. to 5:30p.m.; September 1 through October 15, 9:30a.m. to 5:00p.m.. Closed November 1 through April 30. Visitor Center open October 16 through 31, but no animation/services, limited access to reconstructed site.

Fortress of Louisbourg
Government of Nova Scotia--Tourism
Visitor Experiences

Fort on Site
Gift Shop
Group Tours
Handicap Accessibility
Living History Presentation
Picnic Area
Visitors Center