Port-la-Joye-Fort Amherst National Historic Site of Canada

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island

Port-la-Joye was first settled in 1720 by a group of French settlers led by Comte de St Pierre. It became the first permanent European settlement on Prince Edward Island. Port-la-Joye was recognized as a crown colony in 1726 and a commandant was sent from Louisbourg. The civilian community remained at the colony until Autumn 1744, when the threat of British attack drove them inland. The threat was realized in 1745 when a force of New Englanders, fresh from a victory at Louisbourg, burned the settlement as the French garrison retreated to Quebec. However, the French returned in 1748 after the Treaty of Aix-la-Chappelle put the area back under their control. When Louisbourg fell to the British in 1758, the commandant at Port-la-Joye was also forced to surrender. Lieutenant-Colonel Andrew, Lord Rollo, commander of the British forces on Prince Edward Island, then established Fort Amherst on the site of the French outpost. Fort Amherst was the main point of defense for the British on Prince Edward Island, although the fort's military importance decreased after peace was declared in 1763. The garrison was withdrawn in 1768 and the fort's land leased for agriculture. The province of Prince Edward Island acquired the ruins of Fort Amherst in 1959 and the national historic park opened in 1973.

2 Palmer's Lane
Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island C1A 5V6
(902) 566-7626
(902) 566-8295

Hours of Operation

Open daily from mid-June through late August.

Port-la-Joye/Fort Amherst
Visitor Experiences

Fort on Site
Group Tours