Fort Beauséjour

Aulac, New Brunswick

Situated at the head of the Bay of Fundy, on the border of Nova Scotia and New Brunswick, Fort Beauséjour was built by the French in 1751 in order to defend their interests in the area and counter the British stronghold at Fort Lawrence. In June of 1755, the fort fell to the British after a two week siege and was renamed Fort Cumberland. Under British control, Fort Beauséjour (Cumberland) and its garrison played a role in the deportation of the Acadians. The fort was later besieged again by a group of English speaking settlers from the Chignecto region, who were joined by Acadians and a number of different Indian tribes. The British successfully defended their fort and it was reinforced for the War of 1812. Fort Beauséjour was eventually abandoned in 1835 and was declared a National Historic Site of Canada in 1926. Today, visitors may see the remains of the fort, as well as a visitor center with exhibit areas and artifacts that describe the area's military and civilian history.

111 Fort Beauséjour Road
Aulac, New Brunswick E4L 2W5
(506) 364-5080
(506) 536-4399

Hours of Operation

Open daily, June 1 through October 15, 9:00a.m. to 5:00p.m.

Fort Beauséjour National Historic Site of Canada
Visitor Experiences

Fort on Site
Gift Shop
Group Tours
Handicap Accessibility
Park/Recreation Area
Visitors Center