HISTORICAL SITE DETAILS

Grand-Pré National Historic Site

Grand-Pré , Nova Scotia

Grand-Pré, Nova Scotia was a center of Acadian settlement from 1682 until 1755. By the start of the 18th century, the area of Les Mines was the largest population center in Acadie and Grand-Pré was the largest individual settlement. Grand-Pré became a battle site in 1747, as a French-Amerindian force from Quebec attacked the British-New England troops that were camping nearby. The Acadians remained neutral in the conflict between France and Britain, even taking a modified oath of allegiance while under British rule. However, in 1755, the Acting Governor and Council of Nova Scotia required the Acadians to take hte full oath. When the Acadians refused, they were deported. Approximately 2,200 men, women and children were deported from this area and about 6.000 in total. When the Acadians were allowed to return in 1764, they found their old lands had been settled by colonists from New England and so they turned to other lands in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Quebec. The Canadian government designated Grand-Pré a National Historic Site in 1961. Today, the site features a visitor center with exhibits on the history of Grand-Pré as well as a multimedia presentation on the Acadian deportation. Activities and workshops for school groups are also available.

Grand-Pré , Nova Scotia B0P 1M0
(902) 542-1619 or toll free 1-866-542-3631
(902) 542-1691

Hours of Operation

Open daily, 9:00a.m. to 6:00p.m., May 1 through October 30. Grounds accessible year-round.

Grand-Pré National Historic Site of Canada
Accomodations
Government of Nova Scotia--Tourism
Visitor Experiences

Gift Shop
Group Tours
Handicap Accessibility
Open Year Round
Visitors Center