HISTORICAL SITE DETAILS

Fort Michilimackinac

Mackinaw City, Michigan

Fort Michilimackinac, located in Mackinaw City, Michigan, was built in 1715 by the French as a fur trading village and military outpost. In 1761 the French surrendered the fort to the British. As part of Pontiac’s Rebellion, in 1763 a group of Chippewa staged a ball game to create a diversion to gain access to the fort. Once inside the fort they attacked and killed most of the British occupants. The fort was finally abandoned in 1781

Mackinaw City, Michigan

Hours of Operation

Open May 6 through June 10, 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; June 11 through August 21, 9:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.; August 22 through October 9, 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Mackinac State Historic Parks
Accomodations
Visitor Experiences

Group Tours
Handicap Accessibility
Living History Presentation
Museum
Native American Interpretation
Park/Recreation Area
Reenactments
Visitors Center